In this lecture we look into more details on how to use Genetic Algorithms (GA), Genetic Programming (GP) and Cellular Automata (CA) to design Boolean functions and S-boxes with good cryptographic properties.
- Direct search of Boolean functions with GA and GP
- CA approach to design S-boxes
- GP optimization of S-boxes defined by CA
- Correlation-immune functions as Orthogonal Arrays (OA)
- Evolutionary optimization of OA
- Evolving secondary constructions for Boolean functions with GP
Reference book on Boolean functions:
- C. Carlet. Boolean Functions for Cryptography and Coding Theory. Cambridge University Press, 2021
Surveys on AI methods in symmetric cryptography:
- M. Đurasevic, D. Jakobovic, L. Mariot, S. Picek: A Survey of Metaheuristic Algorithms for the Design of Cryptographic Boolean Functions. Cryptography and Communications, 2023 (in press)
- L. Mariot, D. Jakobovic, T. Bäck, J. Hernandez-Castro: Artificial Intelligence for the Design of Symmetric Cryptographic Primitives. Security and Artificial Intelligence 2022: 3-24 (2022)
See also the references on the last slide.